I think homesharing is a great idea, and I want to see it work for as many people as possible. So I've created homesharecentral.org. I think it can be useful in at least three ways:
- To give people considering homesharing -- especially those with a home to share -- a way to get comfortable with the idea, to discuss some of their concerns, and to come to a realistic decision about whether it is right for them.
- To provide ongoing information and discussions about how to make it work, how to really live with someone else in such a way that everyone is ok with the arrangement. This can be useful for those getting started -- including those who hope to be accepted as a "seeker" -- as well as for ongoing situations that can use some help dealing with issues and conflicts that come up.
- To provide a "clearinghouse" of sorts for the various agencies involved in setting up homeshares. There are quite a few agencies throughout the country, frequently connected with county senior services, that provide some kind of support for those wanting to get involved with homesharing. I suspect that many of them encounter similar situations from time to time; a central location where they can learn about some of each other's experiences can probably save some precious time in many cases.
"Talking things over" is a time-honored way of dealing with tricky decisions. The catch is, you need someone who is interested and hopefully somewhat familiar with, or at least interested in, the topic. The online and phone "meetings" can provide this kind of support.
How does it work?
It's easy, and it's free. It's as simple as a phone call.
- Pick a talk that interests you here. Click the title to see the full page.
- On the right side of the page, enter your email address.You will receive instructions about joining the conference.
- If you would like an email reminder the day before, be sure to click the link in the "validation" email you receive.
- On the day of the conference, call in and enter the conference ID. That's it!
- Join in the conversation if you like, or you can just listen to what others have to say. Many people get value from these calls simply from listening to the presentations and hearing comments made by others.